Sunday, September 16, 2007

Fine Lines

I won't sugarcoat it; I'm a shameless liberal when it comes to push button issues. I'm adamantly pro-choice, I believe gays should be given the right to legally wed without question and above all, I believe that religion should be kept out of politics. Hands down.

Which is why I found it difficult at first, to read the headline "McCain: 'I'm a Baptist'" in Yahoo News' election coverage. (click here to read the article)

Apparently McCain, who until recently identified himself as an Episcopalian, declared himself a Baptist while campaigning in South Carolina earlier today. "It's well known because I'm an active member of the church," he said. "It plays a role in my life.

My first reaction to this flagrant blurring of the line between Church and State on both McCain's part as well as the media's was to rant the usual diatribes. "RELIGION SHOULDN"T BE CONSIDERED DURING THE POLITICAL PROCESS!" cried the crazy hippie in me.

Afterwards, however, I realized that A. I'd never sat down and thought through the logistics of such a statement and B. I had no clue what the actual difference between the two denominations were. Christianity to me is still a nebulous blob of ideology. (Talk about blurry lines.)

Even after researching it, I'm still somewhat unclear about the differentiations. Here, however, is my butchered sparknotes version of my findings. (Anyone who knows better, please don't hate me.)

Baptists are literalists; to them, the Bible is word by word law to be interpreted by each individual. (Everyone's required to have their own bible and there's no final authority beyond your own interpretation.) Many support "litmus paper tests" of faith based on how well one knows the bible etc.

Episcopalians, in contrast, are more people-centered. The essence of God lies in group dynamics and community outreach. Litmus tests tend to be spurned.

To me, these differences are so minute to outsiders that they almost seem superfluous. Yet, they play an enormous role in the lives of those who follow such faiths.

What's most interesting is how this plays a role in McCain.

It's easy to deride politicians who promenade their faiths for the sake of public opinion. (*cough*BUSH*cough) Yet, at the same time it's unfair to ask them not to consider it at all. Faith is an inherent part of soul, mind and personality. The fact that McCain is a Baptist does, in fact, affect his decision making process, his interpretation of the Constitution (our political Bible) and his approach to people in general.

Suddenly, my own lines are blurring.

No comments: