Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Cool Kids

There's no doubt about it, investigative journalists are the "cool kids" on the playground of journalism. After all, any job that warns people that "lack of courage" (pg 403) might be a deterrent, has to be pretty badass. This is the journalistic world that Hollywood loves, that foolish aspiring journalists (like myself) think they're enterting.

But like the cool kids, investigative journalists have their issues. (And I'm not talking about the glamorous drug-soaked kind of issues.) Careful observation and patience--neither of which I possess in large quantities--is of the utmost. Being able to read administrative drivel is also important. Not only do investigative journalists have to deal with finding written sources, they also must interpret them. What does a 5500 form mean? Where are they found? The corporate ocean is filled with illegible plasma.

Makes me thinkg, maybe I should just stay an average kid.

No comments: