Monday, October 8, 2007

More than words

I read a particularly interesting piece in the Washington Post today, titled "Read Her Lips. And Hands. Oh, And Eyes, Too"

As its title suggests, the article talks about the body language of presidential candidates during speechs, debates and other public events. Three analysts took painstaking note of physical communication during a Democratic debate, calling Hillary a master of "rhetorical jhujitsu" while reprimanding Dodd for moving too quickly. "Man, slow it down! " said analyst Seth Pendleton. "His points are good, but things run together... You want the audience to appreciate it. It's like what they say in jazz -- the space between the notes."

Which makes me think: "how much am I affected by demeanor?" I've heard that famous story about the Nixon-Kennedy debate in which Kennedy's smooth aesthetic charm won TV viewers over in torrents while Nixon won the radio debate with raw logic. I like to think of myself as someone rooted in fact...but can I really say I'm not swayed by how things appear?

I have no clue.

3 comments:

Devon Haley said...

You have brought up an interesting point about body language and its affect on politicans. Not something people think about when they are voting. Its a very subtle detail to how people react to other people. I have noticed body language in everyday conversations and it really does have an effect on the people around that person. But, again it is not something you notice unless you are looking for it. Interesting.

Laura Swanson said...

Your discussion on body language raised another question in my mind: what happened to politicians writing their own addresses? Yes, I understand that stage pressence effects a speaker's ability to connect with their audience but personally I'd like the politician representing me to be able to write his or her own speeches. Yes, run them by a professional but come on, not everything needs to be read word for word off the teleprompter (Thanks, W). I want someone who can think intellegently and articulate those thoughts to the public. Afterall, they're going to have to "fly by the seat of their pants" when they--gasp--speak to other politicians and diplomats.

Sandals said...

I can't pass up another opportunity to rip on Thompson: what a great example of how body language -- or lack thereof -- can make or break a campaign. If I've learned nothing else from Freddy, it's the importance of at least *pretending* that you're being sincere about what you're saying. And that you have unscripted emotions. And anything even distantly resembling a functioning central nervous system. Even if you don't.