Sunday, October 28, 2007

nitty gritty

Journalism, like so many other longstanding professions, has its broad stroke image. One thinks of a journalist--crime beat journalists especially-- and up comes the image of the hardened cynic, scotch in one hand, cigarette in the other, typewriter whirring.

What one doesn't imagine is a journalist poring over details of subpoenas, gag orders and other legal hodgepodge. I suppose it's obvious that beat reporting requires a very specific and thorough knowledge of a narrow strip of society. What I didn't think about was my own place in the world of beat reporting. To be entirely honest, I don't have an outstanding interest in one area. The environment, perhaps, maybe Asian dynamics, but ultimately I have no idea. Do certain personalities lend themselves to certain beats? If so, then where do I fit in? (I don't think I could handle crime reporting... as stated in chapter 14, "police work seldom attracks saints and police officers are frequently cynical, often prejudiced, occasionally dishonest. I don't think I could handle that sort of company in addition to having to memorize legal niceties.

No comments: